Style with Conscience
DESIGNED IN BRITAIN, MADE IN BRITAIN
All Nancy Dee garments are now manufactured in Britain. We believe in
- preserving and developing the fast-disappearing specialist skills which established this country's reputation for quality manufacture.
- investing in our local economy, using small local manufacturers with whom we have developed a close working relationship. This extends beyond garment production to other areas of our business such as printing, labelling and packaging.
- ethical production: we can be confident that strict UK and EU working regulations ensure high standards in British factories.
LIMITED EDITION PIECES
Our fabrics are manufactured especially for Nancy Dee, from the purchasing of the yarn right through to the knitting, dye-ing and printing of our fabrics. This means that once a particular colour or print is used up, we cannot easily replenish the fabric. Thus our styles are produced in limited runs and are true 'Limited Edition Pieces'..
Sustainability is key to our company manifesto. It means we take the utmost care to ensure that the complete life cycle of our garments, from creation to their eventual disposal, has the minimum environmental impact.
Sustainability begins at the design stage. Nancy Dee dresses are not fashion-fad, one-season wonders but are designed to be long-wearing, versatile and much-loved pieces that can be dressed up or down (hence our 'day-to-night' jersey tag) and adapted to work with seasonal trends.
Conscious of the huge fabric wastage involved in production, our designers create patterns to minimise this wherever possible. Any leftover fabric is used for making the following season's samples, or re-dyed and used for a brand-new design.
The materials we use are made from fibres extracted from renewable natural sources.
- Soya bean fabric, a strong material with a beautiful drape and anti-bacterial benefits, is reclaimed from the waste of other soy products.
- Bamboo, one of the fastest-growing plants on our planet, needs little in the way of water or nutrients and can be grown almost anywhere.
- Organic cotton is grown without the use of harmful pesticides.
We also use Modal, an eco-friendly man-made material which originates from beech wood. It is similar to viscose but far superior in quality, and the chemicals used in the process of extracting the fibres from their natural state are recycled instead of being released into the environment.
To increase the life of a garment we incorporate Elastane in many of our jerseys. Elastane is a man-made fibre but it has superior elasticity and durability, and it helps retain garment stretch and shape. We recommend that all of our pieces are washed at low temperatures and line-dried, and most pieces can be machine washed.
Minimising Nancy Dee's environmental impact is an ongoing process and we are continually looking at every aspect of the business to see where improvements can be made.
- We recommend that all our pieces are washed at low temperatures and line-dried. Most pieces can be machine washed.
- By planning our collections further in advance, we are able to transport our materials by sea rather than air.
- In the office, we recycle all paper waste and ink cartridges. We use video conferencing to minimise travel.
- Our look-books are available online, thus reducing the amount of printed material that we send out.
- We use acid-free tissue paper and recyclable cardboard tags and mailing boxes for our online orders.
- Print,packaging and labels are sourced locally, reducing transport and supporting our local economy.
We are justly proud of our fabrics at Nancy Dee. We invest a lot of time to sourcing them and ensuring the quality, drape and feel is just right. From the purchase of the yarn right through the knitting, dyeing and printing processes, our fabrics are manufactured specifically for us.
- Our organic cotton jersey is not only comfortable, but hugely practical too: it is easy to care for, long lasting and, because we include Elastane, it retains its shape and stretch.
- Our luxurious bamboo and eco-textile Modal have a beautiful drape and are incredibly soft, yet like most of our fabrics, they can be machine washed at a low temperature so are practical too.
- Because our fabrics are made specifically for us, when a particular colour or print is used up we cannot easily replenish it. Thus our styles are produced in short runs and are true limited edition pieces.
- Our retro prints are unique to Nancy Dee - so you won't find them anywhere else!